In Mozambique, local HPP member, ADPP Mozambique, has implemented TCE since 2001 and provided home-based testing and counseling since 2004. Since the launch of the initiative, ADPP Mozambique has reached over 5 million people with HIV prevention, counseling, and referral services under the TCE model. ADPP is adept at developing strategies to address the changing epidemiology in different regions of Mozambique following the 95-95-95 goals. Presently, ADPP Mozambique implements HIV index case testing in three provinces funded by PEPFAR/ CDC through CCS, Ariel Glazer, and EGPAF. The testing takes place in Cabo Delgado, Gaza, and Maputo.
In 2017 alone, ADPP Mozambique results included:
• 359,279 family members of 83,199 index cases were provided community-based and home-based HIV counseling and testing.
• 61,015 sexual partners of HIV index cases were tested, of which 68 percent1 were found to be HIV-positive and referred for anti-retroviral uptake.
• 93 percent of people who tested positive in the HIV index case tracking projects were linked to and started on treatment.
ADPP Mozambique has also achieved good results on viral suppression through the Trio System, combined with establishment of community support groups, savings and lending clubs, improved nutrition gardens, and HIV-positive youth clubs. These people-to-people support groups help to achieve viral suppression of HIV-positive individuals on ARTs due to the psychosocial benefits, accountability, openness, and realization that the group members are not alone in facing this disease.
ADPP Mozambique is also an important local implementing partner under the PEPFAR/USAID-funded PASSOS program, working with key and priority populations, particularly sex workers, in the provinces of Gaza, Zambezia, and Niassa.
Partners Supporting TCE in Mozambique
- Global Fund
- Johnson & Johnson
- Mozal (Mozambique Aluminum)
- American Soybean Association & WISHH
- TB Reach
- Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University
- Criança o Nosso Futuro - The Office of the First Lady of Mozambique
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
- Belgian Survival Fund
- Fundação para Desenvolvimento da Communicade
See our Partnerships page for a comprehensive list of organizations supporting TCE worldwide.